Sunday 11 January 2015

Review: A Study in Scarlet

This is the first Sherlock Holmes novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...first published in 1887. A murder mystery as well as a  historical fiction novel portraying Mormons as the "baddies"...I don't know how true is the portrayal to the actual historical facts though. This book also introduces the amazing detective Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr. Watson.
The Novel is divided into two parts. The Reminiscences of Watson and The Country of the Saints.
Blurb: 
"In the debut of literature's most famous sleuth, a dead man is discovered in a bloodstained room in Brixton. The only clues are a wedding ring, a gold watch, a pocket edition of Boccaccio's Decameron, and a word scrawled in blood on the wall. With this investigation begins the partnership of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Their search for the murderer uncovers a story of love and revenge-and heralds a franchise of detective mysteries starring the formidable Holmes."
My Rating:
I must say I loved the part II in which the author takes us back to the past and depicts the landscape of  Utah...I enjoyed the story throughout but it didn't amaze me. So out of these categories:
1) I hated it.
2) I liked it.
3) I enjoyed it.
4) I loved it.
5) It was mind-blowingly-awesome.

I would say 3) I enjoyed it.

My favourite quote:
“A study in scarlet, eh? Why shouldn't we use a little art jargon. There's the scarlet thread of murder running through the colourless skein of life, and our duty is to unravel it, and isolate it, and expose every inch of it.
Fun Facts:
A Study in Scarlet was the first work of detective fiction to incorporate the magnifying glass as an investigative tool.
[3] (Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment