Monday 12 January 2015

Review: The Luminaries

This novel by Eleanor Catton is a massive historical murder mystery set in 1800s New Zealand...with 800+ pages. Having said this, I don't get intimidated by the size of a book. So, seeing that it won the 2013 Booker-Prize, and reading the blurb on Goodreads I decided to buy and read it but what a total disappointment!
A total bore! A total waste of my time and money! Although, I read only first 135 pages I got so frustrated with it that I had to give up reading it.
And then I read the reviews on Goodreads and saw that I wasn't the only one who found this book frustrating. Some reviews suggested that if you can't get into it after the first 100 pages, then most likely you won't like it because the beginning is actually better than the rest.
Some reviews blamed the failure on 20+ characters, but I have read The Ice and Fire series with 100+ character and still didn't lose the thread.
Most of the times, while reading this novel, you don't even know where is the story heading to! Very disengaging and confusing style of writing I must say!

No comments:

Post a Comment